Giving Thanks In All Circumstances


“Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.” ~ 1 Thessalonians 5:18


I had to read and reread this verse over and over again. How can we be thankful in ALL circumstances?? There are so many things I can think of in my own life, that at first thought, I had to ask God  how? How am I to be thankful for tragedies, deaths, abuses, injustices, illnesses and things that just plain old make my heart break?
My answer came one day as I was reading thru the newsletter of a Christian author and friend. In the story she told, it said God doesn’t tell us to be thankful “for” all circumstances. He tells us to be thankful “in” all circumstances. That shift in words also shifted my perspective.
Being thankful is an action we take, that is born out of an attitude or feeling of gratitude. That action of giving thanks is aimed at God, because of who HE is, rather than the circumstance we are facing.
Being thankful “in “ all circumstances is a declaration of our faith in Gods goodness, grace,  providence, sovereignty, and faithfulness. It says even though my circumstances are grim, I trust God to see me through and therefore I give thanks to Him, in it. This action of giving thanks is for our benefit, because when we take our focus off of our circumstance and put our focus on God and His power, it gives us strength, and if it’s a joyful circumstance, it magnifies our joy. Giving thanks to God fosters contentment, it stirs joy, and it provides comfort. Thanksgiving is Gods gift of grace over us. Our thanksgiving in all circumstance is also a form of worship to God and brings Him glory.
Thank You Lord, God for this rich gift and blessing of Thanksgiving. May our focus be on You, and who You are. May it bring glory to your name and draw people to You. Amen




Comments