There's A Hole In My Sidewalk

This is one of my favourite poems symbolizing our journey through life, it’s titled “There’s a Hole in my Sidewalk“, by Portia Nelson


Chapter 1.
I walk down the street.There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.I fall in.I am lost…I am helpless.It isn’t my fault.It takes forever to find a way out.


Chapter 2.
I walk down the same street.There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.I pretend I don’t see it.I fall in again.I cant believe I am in this same place.But it isn’t my fault.It still takes a long time to get out.


Chapter 3.
I walk down the same street.There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.I see it is there.I still fall in… its a habit.But, my eyes are open.I know where I am.It is my fault.I get out immediately.


Chapter 4.
I walk down the same street.There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.I walk around it.


Chapter 5.
I walk down another street.



The hole in my sidewalk is depression. I have fallen into it so many times. The older I get, the wiser I am getting. Falling in repeatedly, I have learned to take measures to avoid the hole, realizing it is my responsibility to take care. Now when I see the signs of depression ahead, if I'm not cautious, I still fall into it; but it doesn't take me as long to climb out now. I know the hole. I've learned the way out. I don't like being there, so I am able to climb out quicker. When I am really careful, I can see the depression, I take steps to avoid it, and I pass right by; but eventually, I pray, I will never have to go down that same road again. Life is a journey, there's lots of falling and getting back up. What are the holes in your sidewalk?



Dear Jesus, I thankyou that when I fall in those holes in my sidewalk, that you are always there with me. Your arm is never too short to reach me. I am grateful for Your patience each time I fall. I thankyou for celebrating with me when I finally climb out, and for lighting my way so I might not fall again. Lord, bless the person who wrote this poem, it has been an inspiration to many. I pray my life will bring honor and glory to Your name. Forever loving You Dear Jesus, Amen.

Comments